Saturday, March 24, 2018

Wicked Good Stuffed Lobster Tail

Stuffed Lobster Tail
Grins.  One of the things we don't get in Arizona is fresh, off-the-dock Maine or Cape Cod seafood, and while by no stretch of the imagination am I fan of fish, I do miss lobster, clams, and scallops.  I mean I'm enjoying all the burritos and chilis and refried beans.  I really am.  But there's that part of me that pines for those foods of the New England shores.

Well, as good fortune would have it, my birthday came around and my Sweetie-Pie ordered fresh frozen lobster tails and had it delivered.  Talk about surprised!  Forget expensive jewelry and perfume.  Bring me lobster tails!

Oooh, and this was succulent and sweet, and I could taste the ocean, and while it was baking in the oven, it was like being in Boston again.  But no snow!

When these came, the top part of the shell was already split, almost down to the tail but not through the tail and not through the underside.  Not looking for two halves here.  My hands aren't as strong as they once were and it took a bit of finagling to pull the meat through the split shell to lay it on top, but as you can see I persevered but the struggle was worth it.

I found a recipe on line and it was spot on--restaurant quality in my book and a definite keeper.   The lobster is the star of the show in this recipe, so no crab meat, no shrimp, no scallions, no garlic. 

BAKED STUFFED LOBSTER

2 fresh lobster tails, prepared for baking
a nice squeeze of lemon juice
a pat of butter

1/2 cup buttery crackers (such as Ritz)

1/4 cup crushed saltines
1 tablespoon dry sherry
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon pepper


Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

It's not necessary, but certainly nice to add a little melted butter and lemon juice on top of the lobster before adding the stuffing.  Place the lobsters in a baking dish.

For the stuffing, mix the two crackers together.  Add the sherry and melted butter and pepper and mix well.  If the stuffing seems a little dry you can add a little extra butter.  Using your impeccably clean hands form the stuffing into loose, oval-shaped balls and mound on top of the lobster tails. 

Bake in oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the shells are bright red and the meat is opaque. (Larger lobsters will take longer to cook).  Serve immediately.  If you're a real butter fiend, add a bit of melted butter to the stuffing partway through baking.

COOK'S NOTE:  This stuffing would be superb in a lobster pie.  Precook your lobster meat and combine with the stuffing.  Add a little extra butter and lemon to the top.  Bake for about ten minutes.  Heaven.



No comments:

Post a Comment