Saturday, March 10, 2018

Blueberry Tea Cake

Blueberry Tea Cake
I cannot tell you how many times I've made this little cake over the years.  It's been an old favorite and when I'm craving a little something special, a little blueberry, and definitely easy, this is what I turn to. 

I found the recipe in one of those self-published church cookbooks or something similar and I bless the person who shared this humble, perfectly delightful recipe.

It's a nice weekend family treat.  Keeps well for a couple of days if well covered.

BLUEBERRY TEA CAKE

5 tablespoons shortening
1 cup of sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2/3 cup milk
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups blueberries, rinsed, drained, picked over, then tossed in a little flour and sugar
Extra sugar for sparkle

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease and flour an 8" x 8" baking pan.

Cream the shortening.  Add the sugar, eggs and milk.  Sift the flour and baking powder and add to the wet ingredients.  Mix well.  Gently add the blueberries, folding into the batter.

Pour into prepared pan.  Sprinkle with a bit of sugar.  Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center tests clean.  You might have to cover with a bit of tin foil if the center isn't cooking as fast the rest.  Let cool a bit before cutting.

Nice with a melting pat of butter.  YUM!

COOK'S NOTES:  I've made this with both fresh and frozen blueberries and both work equally well, so you don't have to limit yourself on when you want to enjoy this.  I find if I'm using frozen berries, I rinse off them off to remove any ice crystals and dry them quickly on a couple of paper towels.  You may have to cook the cake longer if using frozen berries.


1 comment:

  1. Coming for coffee! Oh dear I'm sure it's all gone by now. Maybe I'll have to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete