Saturday, May 19, 2018

Joyce's Zucchini Bread

Zucchini Bread
For me one of the ironic things about getting older is I look back on those youthful days and have keepsakes to remind me of those times. I just couldn't understand why my grandmother would hold onto antique toys and black and white photos of her family.  Dusty old things!  I would have nothing to do with old ideas,old recipes, history or antiques.  Then I was very much "in the now."  But now I'm in the then, grins. 

So this is a recipe my mother obtained when she was a factory work that made smoke alarms.  I have absolutely no idea who Joyce is.  She could've been a co-worker or a friend of a co-worker, or?  Regardless this is a recipe I've have for thirty years or so, and it's the only zucchini bread recipe I think I've used all these years.  It's moist, is a bit spicy with the addition of the cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

This bread keeps well.  It makes two loaves.  I freeze the second one and kept the first one well wrapped and took  fat slices as a work treat all week long.  Mmm!

JOYCE'S ZUCCHINI BREAD

2 cups grated zucchini (peel and all) (I used two small organic zucchini)
2 cups of sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup of vegetable oil
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup nuts, chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Grease and flour two 8"x4" loaf pans and set aside.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Wash the zucchini, trim the ends and grate into a large bowl.  Add the sugar, beaten eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.  Mix to combine well.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.  You don't have to overbeat it, just make sure it's well combined.

Divide batter into the two loaf pans and bake about 50 to 60 minutes or loaves test done with a toothpick.






2 comments:

  1. Methinks I'm snagging this recipe. Looks scrumptiouslydelicious! Is that word?? It is now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, and what a delightful word it is! I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.

      Delete