Sunday, January 21, 2018

Creamy, Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese


Historically, I didn't make macaroni and cheese.  It's not that I don't like it; it's because I'm pretty particular about it and I wasn't able to make it the way I like it.  I want a creamy mac and cheese, not a lump of dried, curdled pasta and cheese with bread crumbs thrown on top.  Sounds simple enough, right?  Well, that wasn't happening in my kitchen.  Even recipes that promised creamy didn't deliver.  When I find that the local grocer's makes a better heat-and-serve macaroni and cheese than one I make from scratch, well I know when to concede.  Not everybody is good at everything.

Not good at everything, that is until I saw this posting on Marie Rayner's blog, The English Kitchen.  I've been a fan of Marie's blog like forever, and much of what she posts are recipes similar to what I grew up with and loved, even though we are an ocean apart.  So it came as no surprise to me when I saw her post for this creamy, stove-top macaroni and cheese, I knew I had to give it a try.

This is now my go-to for homemade creamy macaroni and cheese.  It's easy peasy, lemon squeezy, made with typical (to me) pantry items, though a kitchen scale is a handy dandy tool to weigh out the ten ounces of cheese before grating.  If you're a fan of rich and cheesy and creamy, this is a good recipe to try.  And if you absolutely have to have bread crumbs, toast some panko with a little butter in a skillet, grins, and add it to the finished dish.

STOVE TOP, RICH AND CHEESY MACARONI AND CHEESE

8 ounces of dried pasta, prepared according to package directions
2 large eggs
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tobasco)
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
4 tablespoons of butter
10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated

While the macaroni is cooking, in a separate bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, evaporated milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper and dry mustard. 

Once the macaroni is cooked, drain, and add the 4 tablespoons of butter, stirring into the hot pasta until the butter is melted. 

Stir in the egg mixture.

Add the grated cheese and cook over low heat, gently stirring, until the cheese is melted.  Do not rush this part as too high heat will cause the cheese to seize and curdle.

Serve hot.

COOK'S NOTES:  This was excellent the first day.  I was not so much a fan of it the second day.  I did reheat it on the stove top with a little added milk to try and smooth it out a little, but really cannot recommend this as a leftover.




2 comments:

  1. Well that looks tasty Katy..creamy homemade mac and cheese, the only way to go! Think I may just have to make that one of these days and it would be a delicious meal in itself! Who needs meat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, this was good! I agree, for those meatless days, this is a flavorful choice.

      Delete